Welcome, and thank you for taking the time to visit.
When I arrived at interview for the Headship of King Edward's I was immediately struck by the warmth, friendliness, and natural relationships that exist here between pupils and staff. I was also struck by the massive potential that the pupils have, and the ability of the staff to get the most out of each individual child. It comes as no surprise that in an atmosphere that favours collaboration, and support that our results are some of the best in the county, and in the country.
What did we achieve as a school last year? In reality it is far too much to fit onto a webpage, or even a website but below is a flavour of the scope of those achievements:
- We continued our three year trend of pupils achieving an average 60% A-B at A Level, with 31% of those grades at A* or A.
- The average UCAS point score achieved by each individual is the equivalent of AAB at A Level, continuing our upward trend.
- Over 90% of Sixth Formers achieved their first choice university with over half going to Oxford, Durham, Leeds, Nottingham, London
and many of the other top 25 Universities in the country.
- At GCSE all of our pupils achieved at least 7 Grades at A*-C in their GCSE subjects.
- 61% of GCSE entries were either A* or A
- Our GCSE results compare well with the Top 200 Independent Schools in the country and would place us above famous schools such as Sherbourne,
Monmouth and Cheltenham College and close to the likes of Oakham and Uppingham.
- Our professional standards in Drama and Music continue with a sold out performance of the musical South Pacific at the Riverhead Theatre, as well as
a sell out at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival.
- Music continues to be a major passion for King Edward's and we are fortunate to have a wealth of talented individuals that make up
our active Junior and Senior Choirs, Intermediate and Senior Orchestras and of course our range of Jazz Bands - both big and small.
- In total nearly a third of the school are actively involved in the musical life of the school.
- Our committed staff continue to ensure that our pupils can access a wealth of extra-curricular activities that are on a par with that
offered by many leading independent schools, weekly activities include CCF, Duke of Edinburgh Award, a wide range of sports clubs,
various House events, Chess Club, Debating Society, Drama, Music, Eco-Schools - the list of opportunities goes on and on.
- We have established a sporting partnership with the recently redeveloped London Road Sports Ground in Louth and the new Meridian Leisure Centre
which now gives our pupils access to 21st Century sporting facilities in their games and PE lessons.
I hope that you will get a measure of what we value from our website. We are a high achieving Grammar School that aims to strike the balance between tradition, and modernity. We believe that academic success is important, and our curriculum is designed to stretch able children to ensure we can provide them with the stimulation, and challenge that they need to be successful University students.
However we are also passionate about enriching the experience children have here; hence our commitment to a broad range of extra curricular activIties that help to develop the social and interpersonal skills that are crucial for success in the real world. Our Enrichment Days programme provides pupils with the opportunity to extend their learning in a fun and exciting way that goes beyond the confines of the examination specification, and that taps into the skills, and enthusiasims of our talented staff.
As a father of four children, I know how important it is to recognise the needs of individuals, and it is my aim to ensure that we provide as much support for each individual child as possible. Our Head of Year system, Peer Mentoring Schemes, GCSE Mentoring, and our Senior Tutor system in the Sixth Form are designed to ensure that individual support becomes a reality.
I hope you will find what you need on our website, but you are of course always welcome to visit us to find out more about this unique Grammar School at first hand.
“Sixth Formers leave the school as mature individuals ready for the next stage in their lives” OFSTED